One of my FAVORITE desserts to make with vegan meringue is Baked Alaska! If you are looking for a WOW dessert, this is one of the best.
Have you ever made vegan meringue with the liquid from a can of chickpeas? Well, if not, you’re in for a treat. Our last post has your Vegan Meringue Recipe made with aquafaba and see below for instructions on creating the Baked Alaska with vegan chocolate cake and chocolate ganache recipes.
how to make a baked alaska
It’s simply layers of cake, ice cream, a sauce or glaze if you want, and the luscious aquafaba meringue. You can use any cake, ice cream, sauce or glaze you like. Play around with flavor profiles and have fun!
For this Baked Alaska, for the cake layer, I used Fran Costigan’s Chocolate Cake to Live For. This is one of the best vegan cake recipes I have ever made! I drizzled with chocolate ganache (see Chocolate Ganache recipe). The ice cream layer is So Delicious cashew milk based Salted Caramel Cluster. Of course, you can use whatever dairy-free ice cream you fancy.
Instructions for the Baked Alaska
- Bake the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled, cut into circles the size the bowl or bowls or ramekins you are using. (You can assemble in ramekins by layering the cake first, then the ice cream. Alternatively, you can use the bowl method for your Baked Alaska. Assemble by lining your bowl or bowls (for individual servings) with Saran Wrap, then adding some of the ice cream and then the cake. I used the bowl method, but instead of a bowl, I used a muffin pan so I could make muffin-size individual servings.
- After assembling the ice cream and cake in your bowl, muffin pan cups, or ramekins, put in the freezer.
- Make the meringue – vegan meringue recipe here.
- After freezing, pop them out of the bowl(s) or muffin cups and flipped them over.
- Plate, drizzle with ganache, and spread or pipe the meringue on top and on the sides.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar and use your kitchen torch to toast.
- Serve and enjoy!